Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
? about diesel and gas p/u's and chips
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-15 4:58 PM
1 replies, 6035 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Moonchaser
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-04-05 9:41 AM (#2267)
Subject: ? about diesel and gas p/u's and chips

Zookeeper

I was told the other day I could chip my gas rig.  I knew the diesels could be, but never heard about gas rigs being chipped.   If it is possible, would I gain/lose fuel mileage, and just what all would it improve?

Next question, I was also told that in 2010 all diesel p/u's will have to have some kind of conversion for the fuel.  The cost of this is supposed to be around $2500.  Is this true?  I was looking at getting a diesel p/u, but was told I may want to hold off because of this.   That leads to my chip question.

I live in the Tx. panhandle but will be moving at the end of the year down to around Dallas.  My hubby thinks I should have a diesel instead of my gas rig because of the hills.  Our p/u is a 2004 2500 Chevy (gas).  I'm down there a lot now, and I know to not expect my p/u to perform like a diesel would on the hills.  But have really not had any problem keeping up with everyone else.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff in TD
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-06-15 4:58 PM (#2293 - in reply to #2267)
Subject: RE: ? about diesel and gas p/u's and chips

Well, since no one else replied, I'll throw in my .02.

There are assorted power chips out for various gas engines. They will create some extra power on a stock engine, but won't produce the big gains that chipping a diesel can produce. IMHO the gain isn't worth the cost, and possible loss of warranty coverage.

Regarding diesels, emissions are tightening in 2010, however the current Cummins is said to already meet or exceed 2010 standards.

I'm not sure what you mean by conversion for the fuel, unless you are talking about urea injection.

Urea injection has been used to clean emissions of commercial operations, and is being considered in diesel engines. Essentially the vehicle would have a seperate Urea tank, and the urea (an ammonia like acid) would be injected into the exhaust flow between a normal 3 way catalyst, and a second catalyst. The system is also called Selective Catalytic Reduction.

The system is said to be able to reduce NOx emissions by up to 99%.

How much Urea will cost, how much the rigs will use, and what effect the equipment would have on the price of a new truck all remain to be seen.

It would also be interesting to know if urea equipped engines are expected to meet 2010 requirements without cooled EGR systems and particulate filters that are now in use.

Anyway, I'm guessing there might be some bugs to be worked out with the first SCR vehicles, and what the system will do to durability, fuel economy and cost of operation are pretty much anybody's guess at this point.

Edited by Jeff in TD 2008-06-15 5:00 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)