Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
It felt swooshy!
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-22 1:40 PM
1 replies, 5598 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

luv2tallyho
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-21 11:18 AM (#2272)
Subject: It felt swooshy!

Hey Ya'll!!! Ok here it is. I have an 04 F250 6.0, 4x4 short box. Love, love, love my truck. Got a new trailer, 08 Bison Status, all aluminum, 10 ft. LQ, 3 horses. I think it's 28 feet. Had one horse, in the middle spot, used the first spot for hay/feed, etc. The truck has some "squat" to it when I hook up. Can I get rid of some of that? It doesn't look bad, I've seen folks with worse and I felt swooshy going down the road, we were running between 70-75 mph, most places the speed limit was 70. I just go new tires, they are E rated. They had 50 psi. I've heard that I need to up that to about 70 psi when hauling???? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the swooshy swaying feeling that I had? It wasn't all the time, but I did feel it alot, especially after changing lanes.. and I don't make quick lane changes. Horse is too expensive to be throwing her around in the trailer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-04-22 1:40 PM (#2273 - in reply to #2272)
Subject: RE: It felt swooshy!

I think some of your "swooshy" feeling is because of the single rear wheel setup on your pickup. There are a few things you can do to help, though. Check to see if your truck has overload springs. The F250 can be spec'd with or without them, and you definately need to have them with the size trailer you've got. If you do have them already, then you could look at either beefing up your springs by having a leaf added, or by adding an air bag type of helper system. You can go to the forum at www.horsetrailerworld.com and do  a search for air bags or airbag suspension. It's been discussed a few times over there, and several people have experience with those.
The other thing is you'll want to look at the sidewall of your tires, and see what the max load and maximum inflation is. To really do it right, you'd want to load your trailer and then go weigh your rear axle. That way you would know just how much weight you have on it, but at any rate, I'd probably inflate the rear tires to the maximum.

Bill
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)