Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Auxiliary Fuel Tank or Transfer Tank in truck bed?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-10 6:16 AM
2 replies, 9362 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

roan critter
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-05-27 3:46 PM (#2281)
Subject: Auxiliary Fuel Tank or Transfer Tank in truck bed?

Expert of all Expert...

I have finally found a benefit to living on the Mexican border.  Fuel prices, specifically diesel, are significantly cheaper just across the border.  The particular filling station I would use is a newer one, and I have had several friends use it without fuel quality concerns. 

The access to 'safe' diesel at a significant savings has me considering taking the leap to having an aux fuel tank, or a transfer tank, in the bed of my truck.  I could go with anything up to about 90 gal without violating any fuel import laws when coming back across the border.  I have done a little bit of internet research, and find myself confused on the pros and cons and options of the various solutions.  I think I've determined that an Aux tank feeds directly into the existing fuel tank/system (via direct link, switch, etc), and a transfer tank requires manual pumping from the bed tank into the existing vehicle fuel tank.  Now for my questions:

Which is the better system?  More specifically, the system with fewer maintenance or failure concerns for a non-mechanically inclined single female?

What key features do I need to make sure I get (baffles, valves, filters, oh my!)?

Safety concerns?  I haul my generator in the bed of the pickup when hauling the horse trailer.  It also stays in the bed of the truck for operation-does adding a fuel tank create a safety hazard?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FateAsNate
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-05-28 8:04 PM (#2282 - in reply to #2281)
Subject: RE: Auxiliary Fuel Tank or Transfer Tank in truck bed?

I have a 99 gallon Transfer-Flo.... I LOVE IT!!! Well except for how much it costs to fill it up. It cost me about $1400 for the tank. The Fuel goes into the main tank about every quarter tank.... LOVE IT! I search for cheaper fuel and keep it topped off. And I can make it from OKC to Den on one tank.

Chevylea
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-10 6:16 AM (#2288 - in reply to #2281)
Subject: RE: Auxiliary Fuel Tank or Transfer Tank in truck bed?

Hello There

I live in South Africa and found that my standard tank on my F250 was just too small for the distances that I travel. I had an alluminum aux tank made that fits above the spare wheel. ( which means the spare is now about 30cm lower than it was previously) I got the idea from my Toyota 3.0 kzte which has a factory fitted optional tank. Basically how it works is that the breather pipe is diverted to the btm of the new tank (which is now higher that the main tank) the breather is then taken from the top of the aux tank. It takes a bit of time to fill but is a really hassel free system that needs no pumps or valves to operate it. I do about 500km before the fuel guage starts to move.
I hope this helps you in some way....
Cheers for now
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)