Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ford Advice
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-10 7:21 PM
2 replies, 5486 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

HorsePoor2
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-09 2:42 PM (#2242)
Subject: Ford Advice

We just sold our farm and are heading out on the road for the next couple of years. To do this we are in the process of purchasing a large 4 horse trailer with living quarters and all the fixings. These guys are not light and we are trying to find a truck that can pull this. After looking at all the stats and data the F350 Super Duty seems to be the truck we are looking at purchasing (without going into a rig).

With the costs mounting, I am trying to decide what options are 'need to have' and what are 'nice to haves'. We live in Canada and will be doing the summer months up North and heading south during the winter months so my wife can continue riding. We are involved with Endurance Riding which means parking in farmers fields most of the time for rides.

The options that I am weighing right now are things like dual rear wheels and 4 wheel drive. Does anyone have any advice on either of these? Can you do without either?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-10 5:49 PM (#2244 - in reply to #2242)
Subject: RE: Ford Advice

I would think dual rear wheels are deffinately a must for the size trailer you describe. I also sure like having 4 wheel drive. I pulled a lot of trailers a lot of miles with 2 wheel drive, but usually a couple of times a year I'm very glad I have 4 wheel drive! 
If your trailer is that heavy, and you are driving out into pastures or other soft ground, that 4 wheel drive may come in real handy!

Bill 

dano
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-03-10 7:21 PM (#2246 - in reply to #2242)
Subject: RE: Ford Advice

i tow boats [sorry not horses] my current rig is about 1400 and im in my 2nd ford 550 and i love it with 4 wheel drive this truck does everything i want to do and then some. the 550s do not get good milage but it will pull 15000 at 85 and stop it! safely
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)