Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
01 Dodge truck question
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-26 9:17 AM
2 replies, 5556 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

canchaser_412
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-24 9:57 AM (#2258)
Subject: 01 Dodge truck question

John Deere Green

We have a 01 1 ton Dodge Dullay 5 speed Diseal  with 71,000 miles and we just just bought a 2000 pondersosa 3 horse slant with maybe a 2 foot lg area.

We normally get 18-23 on hwy, when pulling yesterday we got 8-10 and it was empty.

Is that normal? Why did it drop that much? A few people have told us that Diseal's go through phase where the mileage drops before the engine gets broke in is that correct?

thank you so much any help would be great

Hannah

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-25 11:58 AM (#2260 - in reply to #2258)
Subject: RE: 01 Dodge truck question

I'm not sure if you've been pulling a gooseneck and getting 18 mpg? At any rate, that's more than I would expect. I'd expect to get about 10 to 12 mpg pulling a 3 or 4 horse trailer with your truck. The terrain, your cruising speed, the rear end ratio of your truck, and wind will all have a significant impact on your true fuel mileage. You'll know your true mileage when you divide your miles driven by your fuel used. If your truck has a digital readout  of MPG, fuel remaining, miles remaining, etc, that's really an indication, not necessarily absolute. If your truck has a 4.10 ratio, and you cruise at  80 mph, for example, your mileage will be significantly less than if you run 70 mph.

Regards,

Bill 
djkrash
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-03-26 9:17 AM (#2263 - in reply to #2258)
Subject: RE: 01 Dodge truck question

I have an 'o1 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 that I have done quite a bit too. No load, 65mph=18-20mpg and that is with 4.10 gears. With a large frontal area trailer it immediatly drops to 16 and then goes down from there depending on the load and terrain. Diesel World magazine has an article this month on ways to help your mileage. It's worth the cost for the read. 2 others things that really affect your mileage are tire pressure(those D and E rated tires really need the extra pressure listed on the side) and speed above where you get the max torque for your truck(in our case 1800 to 2100 RPM). Some easy things to try for better performance and mpg are a better intake and exhaust. Exhaust first. I have done my intake w/ an ag style drum filter from NAPA and have my exhaust w/ a Banls Brake, 4" down pipe to a dual 6" stack setup. I also have an Edge Juice w/ Attitude programmer and an AirDog 100 fuel [ump set up as our lift pumps are apt to fail prematurely and wipe out a $3000 VP-44 injection pump. I have included 2 forums I deal with alot that have helped me with my truck. Dan http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/  and http://www.dodgetalk.com/ Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)