Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bigger trucks and MPG??
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-07 1:10 PM
5 replies, 8742 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

jiterbug
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-14 3:30 PM (#2306)
Subject: Bigger trucks and MPG??

I have 98 Pete single axle, Good truck pulls great etc.
but I've gotten  job promotion and will be getting some of my milage paid.
so I need to find something that I can break even or make $ on the milage thing.

I talked to several dealers and they tell me I can't expect more that about 8 out of anything bigger that 1 ton pkup.

I get between 8.5 and 10 with my truck now. I haul with a gal that get close to 12 on the average with her 1 ton dodge dually.

Hubby really wants me in  bigger truck for stopping, (i agree) but i also need something i can unhook and get around towns too for job purposes. He also thinks (and it probably is true) that it's senselly to haul with a pkup who's value is basicly zero after a few years of pulling, when a larger truck will last longer, and hold value longer. But I'm still hung up on the milage, cuz it'll come out of my check other wise.

So what's true? What kind of milege will a 1.5 ton out fit or bigger really get?
Any make or model that's better?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-15 2:23 PM (#2307 - in reply to #2306)
Subject: RE: Bigger trucks and MPG??

I don't think you'll see much improvement in your mileage if you go to a medium duty truck. To see a significant increase, I think you'll have to go to a pick up with a pre-2007 engine. That is because the diesel engines built after January 1, 2007 have new emission laws they have to comply with, and the fuel mileage has taken a hit in order for them to comply with the new laws. With the pick up, as you said, your weight handling capability is substantially less than with the bigger trucks. I'm not sure what the good answer is!

Bill

jiterbug
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-15 2:55 PM (#2308 - in reply to #2306)

Bill you've seen my trailer, is it too big for say a 1 ton dually?
I haul with a gal that has a similar sized trailer, and her dually does really well, she has an 08 dodge and gets 11.5 really consistant, and has done as well as 13.

I'm just trying to figure if the wear and tear, is going to balance out, with saving fuel money.

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-15 4:20 PM (#2309 - in reply to #2306)

There are a bunch of people that pull trailers just like yours with a 1 ton. You give up stopping distance and capability- but having driven both sizes of trucks, you realize that. I think you have to figure out on paper what it costs you to own and drive your big truck. Then do the same for a 1 ton. Then you can look at the pros and cons of each truck, along with the costs associated with each, and then you'll have to make your own decision.
Personally, my way of looking at it is a lot of miles per year under the trailer= big truck. Not so many miles pulling, a 1 ton makes more sense. The other factor is how much you need to drive it when you're not towing your trailer. JMOH!

Bill
Laredo Trucks
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-17 11:14 AM (#2314 - in reply to #2306)

We sell allot of gm C4500s and I own one as well and they get 10-13 whether your pulling or not.If you are pulling more than 17000LBS with a 1ton your taking your life into your own hands I know allot of people do it but its not safe.Not to mention if you have a wreck and your truck is not rated to pull what your pulling your insurance co. can opt out!
Henn
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-07 1:10 PM (#2325 - in reply to #2306)

I have been in a similiar truck situation, thinking that bigger is better and safer. We trailer alot up in Western Canada and run through the mountains
alot pulling a LQ 4 horse.
I have recently sold the big rig due to the fuel prices and purchased a 3 year old Dodge dually. But with a few additions. To deal with the braking issues I put 4 wheel DISC brakes on the trailer and on the dually I installed a cold air intake, over sized exhaust and a programable chip. Although there is a slight power difference in the hills, we are really happy with the result. The new brakes make a huge difference and I think we stop better than with the Freightliner. Also when we are travelling on the prairies I set the chip to economy mode and the fuel economy improves about 15%. In all I spent abot $3500 on the additions. But if figure I will save about 200 a week in summer and 100 a week in winter. Plus my truck payments are about 1/2.
All this is a bit of a hassle but if your on the road alot it is worth taking the time and money to make these additions. Plus the dually is alot handier to take to town than the big truck. Hope this helps

Edited by Henn 2008-08-07 1:19 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)