Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
F350 Super Duty jerks violently when towing at speed of 55-60 mph
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-17 9:57 AM
5 replies, 10630 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Poody
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-31 1:04 PM (#2265)
Subject: F350 Super Duty jerks violently when towing at speed of 55-60 mph

Okay, I searched the site back to 2005 and didn't see a posting - so apologize if this has been discussed.

Recently bought 2005 F350 Super Duty 4x4. Over the weekend pulled a new 4-horse Merhow with LQ so approx. 7600 lbs. I think. When in tow/haul mode and accelerating (NOT Decelerating) between speed of 55 and 60 the truck jerks or bucks violently until the gas pedal is released. It was a 185 mile trip home so when it happened we had plenty of time to trouble shoot. No bumps on road, smooth/flat surface, only did it in tow/haul mode - when disengaged it went fine. Also doesn't do it when NOT pulling. Motor remains smooth and no different sounds whatsoever. When that certain speed is hit it just bucks with no warning. Over 60 mph it's smooth. Oh yes, it was tacking at 2. Any ideas or identical problems out there?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Poody
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-04-04 11:41 AM (#2266 - in reply to #2265)
Subject: RE: F350 Super Duty jerks violently when towing at speed of 55-60 mph

Just an update. My husband pulled the trailer to the dealer and then to the Ford mechanics early this week. It jerked on one occasion for him.  When the dealer and mechanics rode along, of course it performed fine. The dealer and mechanics were very supportive and professional in trying to troubleshoot. They re-programmed the computer. Perhaps it is the EGR valve but nothing you can do until you know for sure. They are insisting it is in the trailer wiring. So the trailer is setting at our local trailer specialty shop to check the wiring and it will take a week. So I will post later the results of the trailer wiring and another test drive.
Poody
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-04-09 1:02 PM (#2268 - in reply to #2265)

Picked up the trailer and nothing conclusive.  Brake pads were adjusted and wiring checked and the trailer shop said may/may not have contributed to the problem. 

The truck dealer and ford folks are going to look at the truck again and check coolants.  Will keep you posted.
luv2tallyho
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-21 10:39 AM (#2271 - in reply to #2268)

I have an o4 F250 and mine did the same thing but mine did it towing up hill. If I tried to accelerate going up hill it would spit and jerk and puff out black smoke, if I did not accelerate and maintained speed it would not jerk as bad. They reprogrammed my EGR valve thing and it's been fine. I have a guy friend w/ the same truck and the same problem, they messed w/ the EGR and it works fine. Good luck.
RunningBlood
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-23 3:49 PM (#2280 - in reply to #2265)

Bargin Shopper

I have a 07 F350 and pull a 3h with 8ft short wall LQ. so it's kinda medium sized. Mine will do the same thing, It wants to sorta jerk, not by loosing power but more like it's bouncing forward and back. I usually haul at speeds of 70 to 80 mph and even when I hauled a 17ft short wall 4H Bloomer to Florida it got into the bouncing forward and back motion. The only way I could get it to stop is to let off the peddal for a second then I could get back into it and it would be fine. It usually does this around the same speeds your seeing. Not to much at slower or faster speeds. But again I've pulled two different trailers and seen the same thing soo I know it's the truck.

I was thinking it might be the long bed 4dr with 4wd that gets the truck out of balance for a second until you let off and then speed back up after it stops bouncing.

But one thing I do love about it is how well it pulls, I hauled the big a$$ bloomer to Jacksonville running 85 and 90 mph the whole way on the interstate. It has plenty of power..

As far as the 08 radiators, I've heard the same thing. They are busting radiators at the mounts from the tourque of pulling heavy loads left and right. One rancher I talked to has 3 of these trucks and every one has had at least 3 radiators put in them already.

cowboyup269
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-17 9:57 AM (#2313 - in reply to #2265)

I have a 2005  f350 did the same thing under acceleration I thought the wheels was square on the trailer.  took to the ford store 3 times they could get it to repete  when they come with the hooker to get it they found it was the fuel control module good luck 99% of the people that work on them have no idea what they are doing I ask 3 times to have my cluch fan changed because it blew hot air out of the ac when I was stopped for a light. They said they couldnt make it get hott I stopped the fan with a broom handel cause it wasnt working right then they changed it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)