Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
F250 engine change ???help
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-27 7:36 AM
6 replies, 6224 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Chevylea
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-10 6:27 AM (#2289)
Subject: F250 engine change ???help

Hi
I live in South Africa and unlike you guys we have a very limited variety of what we would call big trucks (F250's and like) I have a F250 4x4 2006 which is fitted with a 4,2L MWM motor (this is about the strongest engine available here in SA) 500 N.M and +- 140KW. I have just purchased a new Cherokee Tomahawk 4 horse slant load LQ trailer from the US (it is currently at sea and is due in SA on the 9th of July) and I know that my F250 is going to battle a bit towing it. Can anyone recomend a suitable upgrade that I can import from you guys and fit to my F250 to give it a bit more HP. Is there a bigger engine that would fit straight onto my gearbox ? (5spd manual).... any suggestions would be welcome.... I would import a whole truck from the US, but our vehicles are all RHD and we are not allowed LHD's (left hand drive)... Failing which there is a company here in SA that converts Dodge Ram250's to RHD, but they are rather expensive...and I really love my F250 - it is still in good nick and drives really well.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-06-12 3:33 PM (#2290 - in reply to #2289)
Subject: RE: F250 engine change ???help

International's T444e 7.3 liter V-8 is the basis for Ford's pre 2003 Powerstroke diesel engine. I guess if I couldn't find a 7.3 Powerstroke, I would look for a T444E. They built that in several horsepower configurations, from 175 to 230 HP. If you did something like this, I would probably get a 6 speed manual transmission out of a Ford to go behind it.

Good luck!

Bill
Chevylea
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-13 1:48 AM (#2291 - in reply to #2290)

Hi Bill

thanks for that info... I have been told that the powerstroke is the way to go... I actually find it hard to believe that they initially fitted the 4,2L MWM into the F250 for our market - and then on top of it to market them as towing vehicles. Dont get me wrong, the truck pulls well with it, but it does battle with heavy loads.
Do you know of any place where I could source an engine and trans like this...? and any idea of what they might cost?
Thanks again for your words
Nick
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-06-16 10:01 AM (#2294 - in reply to #2289)

Are you thinking new or used engine and transmission?

Bill
Chevylea
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-20 2:02 AM (#2296 - in reply to #2294)

Hi Bill

Probaly used, but it is totally dependant on cost.... a new unit might be very expensive... I know here in SA you can buy pretty new (or low milage ) engines etc at reasonable prices from the breaker yards... just have to find a accident dammaged vehicle that is not very old...

What would you recomend....

Nick
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-06-24 11:49 AM (#2297 - in reply to #2289)

I think if you import something from the US, you would want to go with either new or remanufactured from a dealer or supplier. I suspect you are looking at $9,000 to $11,000 or more for a reman engine only. Then you'll have to make sure it has everything on it you'll need, as you don't have one to take necesary parts off of. It would definitely be an extensive and expensive project!

You might be ahead to import a complete truck set up the way you want and convert it to RH drive- I don't really know what costs and complications you would have doing that.

Best of luck!

Bill
Chevylea
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-27 7:36 AM (#2300 - in reply to #2297)

Hi Bill

I drove a new Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cap the other day... There is a company here that brings them in and converts them to RHD. It has a 5,9 L Cummins engine in it and drives really nicely. They are not priced too badly - R680 000 = about $85000 and I should get about R350 000 for my F250 so it will cost me another $40k.... its going to have to wait a while - I dont have that kind of shingle looking for a home...

Thanks for all your help anyway - I think I will stick with my F250 as it is for the moment... afterall it is a nice truck.

Cheers for now
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)