Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
97 F250HD Diesel overdrive light flashing
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-14 11:17 AM
8 replies, 6305 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

nclabtech
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 2:13 PM (#2310)
Subject: 97 F250HD Diesel overdrive light flashing

O/D off light has started flashing and then the truck shifts down out of O/D. Had the diagnostics computer read for codes, no codes given. What is next step? Truck only has 75K miles and had a transmission rebuild at 45K 6 yrs ago. I tried to search the threads, but only get blank page.
Thanks  

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-16 3:10 PM (#2311 - in reply to #2310)
Subject: RE: 97 F250HD Diesel overdrive light flashing

Did you have it checked for codes at a Ford dealer? The reason I ask is, I've been told not all readers are created equal, and there are some codes that are Ford specific- most shops aren't able to pull some codes.
nclabtech
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 10:11 PM (#2312 - in reply to #2310)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have it checked at a Ford Dealer.
nclabtech
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-30 10:37 PM (#2320 - in reply to #2312)

It was the PCM Computer. There was a Banks Otto chip in the old computer. Anyone have experience with this problem? Anyone ever used the Banks chip?
Thanks
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-31 10:19 AM (#2321 - in reply to #2310)

I don't have direct experience with the Banks chip or module you have, but I think in general, Banks offer good products, and have good product support. I would assume when the trans was overhauled that this module or kit was installed then? I would think what it would do is adjust your shift points( rpm's) a little bit, and maybe set it up to shift a little firmer, which will help protect your transmission. Did your shop remove Banks' chip and reprogram the ECM?
nclabtech
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-08-12 11:09 PM (#2326 - in reply to #2321)

Yes, they removed the chip when they installed the new computer (said it would void the warranty). The Banks Transcommand box is still connected to the transmission. I have the chip. What do you recommend? It is suppossed to give a boost in horsepower.

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-08-13 4:06 PM (#2327 - in reply to #2310)

Personally, I am not a fan of "chipping" trucks to up the horsepower. I am an old school truck driver, and my opinion is we have plenty of power to do what we want in this generation of turbo diesel pick-ups we have now. It wasn't that long ago that I would struggle to pull 6 horses up the mountain at 25 mph. Now I can take my stock pickup and pull those same 6 horses up that same hill at 55-60 mph easily. That makes me happy! I also consider the rest of my pickup, maintenance costs, and engine and other component lifespans. If I bought a new truck every 2 or three years, I might aproach it a little differently. That being said, many people "chip" trucks- some to improve power and performance, some to improve fuel economy. I rely on a very good diesel mechanic at our local Ford garage to let me know the pros and cons of any modifications I consider. Generally setting up an automatic transmission to shift a little differently when you are pulling heavy loads is not a bad thing. 
Clear as mud, huh!        

nclabtech
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-08-14 9:02 AM (#2328 - in reply to #2310)

The diesel mechanic that I use also has the 7.3 Powerstroke like mine and he pulls a similar size trailer without a chip or aftermarket modification. I did have the trans rebuilt once already and the truck only has 75K. I did add the heavy duty trans cooler and have it serviced regularly.

I really appreciate your input. I want the truck to last as long as possible. It is in excellent condition overall.
Thanks!
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-08-14 11:17 AM (#2329 - in reply to #2310)

I like your mechanic already!

The heavy duty oil cooler and regular service for your transmission will do as much as anything to give you longer transmission life. One other thing that I do with  mine is if I am in a situation where my truck wants to shift back and forth in and out of overdrive, I'll try to not let that happen. If that means slowing down a little and pushing the button to lock it out of OD, I'll do that. Or maybe speeding up a little might be all it takes. I just don't want it to "hunt" back and forth.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)